Sunday, June 10, 2007

James Russell Salisbury

“A man who saves is a man that wins.”

Jim was born on February 10, 1949

He was killed on June 18, 1968 in Quang Nam, South Vietnam.

His family moved to Lebanon from Coburg in the mid 1960's, where he would graduate from Lebanon High School in 1967. He enlisted into the Marines to leave the day after he graduated. Jim went through basic training and through advanced basic training, and then finally shipped off to war. Jim was an honest Christian who didn’t believe in going out and getting in trouble, but he knew how to have a good time. In high school Jim was involved in Pep and Swing band where he played the sousaphone. He was also involved in power mechanics and played JV Football his junior year. He also had a steady girlfriend who soon became his fiancee. Her name was Valerie Machelhany.

Jim left to the war in Vietnam, never to be seen again. He was only 19 years old. Jim had many plans for after high school that would unfortunately never be fulfilled, except one. Ever since his friends and family can remember, he wanted to be a marine. Not because he agreed with the war or because he wanted to get back at anyone, but because he wanted to be a true Marine. It disturbed Jim that young Vietnamese children would be kind and innocent during the day and yet at night they were the spies and the enemy. These kids would bomb the soldiers and attack them. So soldiers had to defend themselves against young children. It has been told that Jim had said he wanted to die for his country, but we’d like to say that, rather than die for his country, he was willing to fight and if it happened he would die for the freedom of others. For his service he received a purple heart, a silver metal, and three Vietnam service medals, including a silver star.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Dearest James Russell Salisbury,

You've been gone for many years now, but tonight, you're here. In every one's thoughts and in ours more than ever. We have been making this movie for you for about 2 months now and we feel as though we have known you our whole lives. We wish we could have been there to see you trying to carry that rubber raft, or buying burger boxes with your friends. We hope you know how wonderful you truly are Jim. We, like many others intend to keep you in our hearts forever. You've changed our lives completely around. You have opened up our eyes for the greater good. Thank you. Thank you so much for everything you've done for us, and our country. These people are here for you and the other fallen soldiers. You will live on forever. This is for you Jim, rest in peace our perfect soldier.

From Our Hearts,

Taryn Durkee and Tiffany Morgan

-------------------------------------------------------------------



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tiffany:


Thanks so much for remembering Jim Salisbury. I am so impressed with your high school project, and you were very fortunate to be assigned Jim Salisbury as he was an outstanding Marine. Even though it has been many years, I can clearly remember Jim. He was very nice and considerate of his fellow marines, and was extraordinarily brave in combat. I was his Squad Leader when he first arrived at our unit and he learned very quickly. He was later assigned to another squad, which was lead by a marine from California named Richard Skaggs. We were all very good friends and Jim became the assistant Squad Leader for Corporal Skaggs. Even though we were involved in combat much of the time, there would often be periods of time that we could relax and tell stories, laugh, play pranks on each other, etc. As such, we have many happy memories along with sad. After 11 months in combat, I was shot and recuperating from wounds in a military hospital in Japan, when I learned about what happened to Jim. I had only been away for about 2 weeks when Jim was killed. I understand he was shot by a sniper, then Corporal Skaggs ran to his assistance, and was also mortally wounded. Jim was always one to risk his life and run to the aid of his fellow marines. We all lost two great Americans that day, and I lost two good friends that I will always remember. Thanks for taking time and effort to honor such a great American Marine, who sacrificed his life for our freedoms. Young people like yourself, make us all proud to have fought for this country. I know Jim would be honored by your efforts, and, as such, he is smiling in heaven.
Very respectfully, Joe Klinger, Sgt, USMC 1967-1969 and currently Captain, U.S. Navy (RC)


Tiffany,

Your message really took me by surprise! I have a lump in my throat. Anyway……to answer your question. Yes, I do have information about Jim. He was a dear friend. He and I were so close that I named my daughter after him. In fact, Jami lives in Lebanon now. I would be proud to tell you all I can about Jim.

I must tell you that I am pleased to hear about your project. Jim and Lonnie Moore (also a good friend) would be happy to know that you are finally honoring their service to America.

I am working in my Salem office during the legislative session and would be thrilled to meet you and Taryn. I would also like to correspond with Jim’s brother Tim. Perhaps you could let Tim know my email address and ask him to contact me. My phone numbers are listed below, as well.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best Regards,

John Watt


You are amazing Jim...We love you.